What in the world is growin’ on at The World In A Garden?
Click on the images or visit our Events Page for more information!
On MARCH 6TH, we will be holding our first workshop of the season, focusing on INDOOR GARDENING. TWIAG will be joined by Ilana Labow of Fresh Roots Urban Farm. Ilana gained a great deal of knowledge working with Will Allen for several years on the urban farm project, Growing Power. She has some valuable information about soil fertility to share with us!
On MARCH 20TH, get back to the garden for our 2nd annual POTATO FUSION WORKSHOP. We will be teaming up with Project Somos as we fuse together potatoes & lettuce to create tasty and nutritious treats! Project Somos is establishing a sustainable eco-village in Guatemala for orphaned and abandoned children. All proceeds will be donated to TWIAG & Project Somos.
On APRIL 24TH, come celebrate EARTH DAY 2011 with TWIAG! We will be pairing with Growing City to discuss the importance of urban agriculture, do some digging in the garden, and feast in honor of Mother Earth!
These are just a few of MANY events that we will be hosting in the upcoming season. Keep your ears & eyes open for more information on The World In A Garden 2011 Workshop Series. In the mean time, here are some fun facts about indoor gardening & potatoes!
- Houseplants can remove harmful air toxins by absorbing them and emtting precious life-giving oxygen.
- Houseplants also produce a more oxygen-rich environment by raising humidity. This is correlated with higher productivity in the workplace.
- Houseplants filter allergens from the air.
- You can grow plants all year long!
- They beautify the home!
- With all those carbohydrates, potatoes are easy to digest and can actually facilitate digestion!
- A single baked potato will also provide you with 11.7% of the daily value for fiber, but remember the fiber in potatoes is mostly in their skin. In addition there is a concentration of nutrients directly beneath the skin which is often peeled away!
- The nutrients in potatoes (Vitamin C, Vitamin B-complex, potassium, magnesium, etc.) are great for the skin.
- The nutrients found in potatoes also improve brain functioning.
- The fiber in potatoes helps to lower cholesterol and improves the functioning of insulin in the body, ultimately lowering blood pressure.
We look forward to seeing you soon!!